Fort Worth Texas History
The Dallas-Fort Worth area is full of historical significance, and the border between North Texas and Texas is closely intertwined. This museum explores the history of Cowtown and indulges the cowboy fantasies of its visitors, but is also a museum of history and culture.
The Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area, known locally as the Metroplex, is the largest metropolitan area in North Texas and the second largest in the United States. Located on the Trinity River and Chisholm Trail, where millions of cattle were raised, Fortworth describes itself as the "place where the West began," and its colleges include the University of Texas at Dallas, Texas A & M University System, and Texas State University. East of this, south of the city of Dallas and north of downtown Dallas, is the Dallas County Courthouse, home to the US Air Force Academy; east of it is the College of South Texas, a public university with more than 1,000 students; and west of that is Texas Tech University, with its campus in Arlington, Texas.
The Fort Worth Museum of Science and History is housed in a 35,000 square foot exhibition that includes exhibits on the history of science, technology, technology and mathematics (STEM) in the United States. The museum is a must-visit - visit Fort Worth as it has the largest aviation history collection in North Texas and one of the largest in the world. Housed in hangers at DFW Airport, the museum makes an entertaining stop on its way to Fortworth. Named after its founder William J. Meacham Jr., it was originally used as a general aviation airport until it was renamed by the US Air Force.
In addition to designing numerous school buildings in Fort Worth, Waller also designed several schools in the Rio Grande Valley, where he lived from 1930 to 1940. Named after the surgeon who moved his practice from the West Texas town of Moran to Fortworth in 1904, the building opened in 1908. Hogg returned to Fort Worth and was superintendent from 1889 until his death in 1924 at the age of 74.
When the railroad arrived in 1876, Fort Worth became an important transhipment point for cattle, and in 1887 the city had built its first public school, the first elementary school in the United States. The school board, formerly known as the Independent School District of Fortworth, became the largest school district in Texas and the second largest in North America. Schools that received additional funding included the University of Texas at Austin, Texas State University and Texas A & M University. In 1884, after the deaths of Mayor John F. Hogg and his wife Mary, a Fort Worth City Council was formed and a town hall built during a civil war.
Fort Worth became one of the largest meat packaging plants in the United States, processing everything from pigs to cattle. In 1944, the Stockyards of Fort Worth processed 5,277,496 head of cattle, making 1944 the peak year for the entire farm. The plant employed more than 30,000 people and later became the second largest packaging plant in the world after Lockheed Martin, which made it a conveyor belt and a manufacturer of Liberator bombers.
Fort Worth had eight operated refineries at the time, and four more were built nearby during the East Texas oil boom. The impact of the discoveries in East and West Texas was enormous, and oil was found in both Dallas and Fort Worth.
Many attractions are located in Fort Worth, including Arlington, Grand Prairie and Irving, but you won't see any animals or cows that have settled here in the past. The Fort Worth Zoo is the largest zoo in the United States and the second largest in North America.
The history of Fort Worth and Tarrant County has been preserved by the Texas Historical Commission and the University of Texas at the Arlington Natural History Museum. Information available includes the records of the U.S. federal census from 1790 to 1930 and the National Park Service's collected information units. Popular and scholarly books by local authors include "Fort Worth, Texas: A History of the City and County" and "Texas: The City, County and State of Dallas," both by Robert E. Lee.
The Fort Worth Public Library encourages those who wish to donate personal documents and other materials related to Fort Worth history to visit the library's online database or the public library's website at www.fortworthlibrary.org.
The museum celebrates the history of the Texas cowboy, past and present, and is located at the Fort Worth Museum of Texas History on the corner of South Main Street and West Texas Avenue in Dallas.
In 1875, the Texas Pacific and Fort Worth Roadbeds were organized, which later became the University of Texas at Austin, Texas State University and Texas Tech University. In 1893 Greenleif Simpson bought Union Stockyards for $133,333 and changed its name to the Fort Worth Stockyard Company on April 27, 1893. It was named after John F. Simpson, an oil man from Fortworth who served as a trustee of TCU from 1940 to 1960. On April 28, 1890, at a meeting of the TCU Board of Trustees, he named his son-in-law, Dr. William E. Brown, as the new president.